There are many stories about people getting roofied while out having a good time. Here are a few helpful tips that you can follow to avoid spiked drinks and make sure you stay safe and enjoy your night out!
1. Order unopened drinks instead of mixed drinks
- If you are not with people you can trust, try ordering drinks that you can see the bartender open first-hand
- If you and your crew are lucky enough to be enjoying bottle service, stick to drinks from your bottle. Be wary of joining strangers at their table.
- Do not leave your drink unattended at any time. Give it to a friend to guard or finish it off before racing off to dance or visiting the bathroom.
- If you do have to leave it and you're uncertain as to its safety, leave it and get a new one. Better safe than sorry!
- If you get an open top mixed drink, hold it in such a way that your hand covers the top of the glass.
- Holding it with your palm over the top instead of on the side of the drink will make it harder for someone to slip anything in without you noticing
- This could be a ruse to lull you into a false sense of security. Never grab a drink or steal one off of someone you don't know; you never know what is in their drinks and just because they can handle it doesn't mean you can.
- If you cannot keep an eye on the serving of your drink, or you have any misgivings about the person offering you a drink, it is best to politely decline.
- If you are having drinks with friends, you will usually be fine; and ask them to keep an eye on you if you do go off with anyone unknown during the night so that if anything untoward does happen, someone else will be onto it right away.
- Things such as your drink being moved from where you left it, the straw having been taken out or one put in, less or more liquid than you remember, odd bubbling or fizzing, a different color or odor, or empty medicinal packets next to the glass or on the floor, etc. Be aware of your surroundings!
- When you drink something that tastes off or unusual, stop right there and have no more. Immediately presume that the situation has become unsafe and either leave as soon as possible, or grab a friend to stay with or, better yet, leave together.